The contract for multimodal transportation implies the delivery of goods by several modes of transport. Such a solution allows you to bypass existing restrictions, optimizes time and financial costs.
Transportation of multimodal type is used in several cases:
- the countries of the sender and recipient do not have a direct connection;
- the client refuses to transport cargo by one mode of transport due to a high price or a long wait;
- part of the cargo cannot be sent by the selected method.
In the latter case, the limiting factors are the dimensions, purpose or weight of the goods.
Types of transport used
ELP CARGO carries out multimodal transportation, taking into account objective and subjective circumstances, by all available modes of transport.
When transporting, vehicles of the appropriate purpose are used. They provide prompt work with the goods, they are in demand within the framework of international and long-distance communications.
- Lorries. Heavy duty vehicles. The equipment is equipped with a closed or open body, suitable for work in various climatic conditions. When organizing large cargo transportation, vehicles moving up to 37 tons are used.
- Isothermal transport. Lorries with thermally insulated body. It protects products from external influences, maintains the required temperature. Transport is involved in sending reagents, medicines and similar goods.
- Refrigerators. Special lorries for the transport of perishable goods, equipped with a refrigerator. It transports frozen food and industrial goods. Refrigerators are optimal for the delivery of semi-finished products and other deep-frozen products.
Along with the listed machines, small-tonnage cars can be used. The equipment is indispensable for organizing cargo transportation over short distances and working in an urban environment. It is compact and manoeuvrable.
For multimodal transportation of goods, when one of the stages is organized by air, two types of aircraft are used.
- Passenger aircraft. Regular passenger liners can carry small shipments. As a rule, these are documents, medicines, souvenirs.
- Cargo planes. They are optimal for the delivery of bulky goods - they solve transport problems related to the transportation of equipment, spare parts, household appliances, precious metals.
The use of air transport services reduces the delivery time, but increases its cost.
Vessels of various configurations are involved in the transportation of goods by water as part of multimodal delivery.
- Tankers transporting liquid products. In most cases, this is oil, as well as fuel and lubricants based on it.
- Bulkers are transport vessels that handle bulk industrial products.
- Bulk carriers are large ships for the delivery of general and oversized cargo. Vessels are equipped with cranes and can unload products in ports without appropriate equipment.
- Ro-Ro - ships loaded horizontally. Their main purpose is the transportation of cars and other wheeled vehicles.
Many transport operations are carried out by container ships - ships designed to deliver containers.
The use of railway services is a reliable and affordable way to carry out cargo transportation. When performing multimodal transport operations, wagons are used:
- covered for the delivery of general cargo;
- covered for transportation of cars;
- hoppers (for moving bulk materials).
Passenger and mail cars are used for the transport movement of correspondence.
Choosing the right shipping method
Developing an algorithm for multimodal cargo transportation is not an easy task. Specialists take into account a wide range of parameters.
- Load configuration. As part of international transportation, items with different properties are moved. Some of them are not suitable for travel by boat, plane or car. In this case, logisticians are looking for optimal algorithms that ensure the smooth interaction of all categories of transport.
- Features of the transport network. Certain countries have limited international traffic. When working with cargo on their territory, one has to take into account constraints and organize operations to change the mode of transport.
- Financial component. The issue of rational spending of funds is one of the most acute. Some customers choose slower shipping if it saves money.
In most cases, cargo consolidation services are offered to customers. The service allows you to send goods as part of a combined batch. This solution reduces time and financial losses, contributes to the formation of a single route for transported items. Consolidation minimizes customs delays by simplifying paperwork and processing.
Correcting the defects, the shipment will be accepted for delivery if it is allowed for international transportation at all.
ELP Cargo is a member of the world's largest International Association of Movers (IAM for short), and we can offer any moving service to a multitude of different countries by attracting long-term partners from the IAM Association in these countries.
We have temporary storage warehouses in Vilnius and Moscow, where we receive, consolidate, distribute and send personal items abroad.
What Our Clients Say
Most of all I was pleased with the packaging of things: nothing was broken and everything was folded very carefully) well done! "
Cultural property without registration
Natural diamonds / gems
Tobacco / Drugs
Photo lab equipment
Medicine / Vitamins / Medicinal syrups, ointments
Food / drinks
Medical technology and equipment
Solariums for tanning
Games powered by coins, banknotes, bank cards, tokens or similar means of payment
Boilers for central heating, classified in subheading 8403 10 TN VED EAEU.
Internal combustion engines
Medical, surgical, dental or veterinary furniture
Hairdressing salons and chairs and similar chairs, parts thereof.
Apparatus and equipment for photographic laboratories, classified in heading
9010 TNVED EAEU.
Devices, apparatus and models intended for demonstration purposes,
classified in heading 9023 00 TN VED EAEU.
1. Clothing, shoes, hats, umbrellas, jewelry, personal hygiene items, other personal goods in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Eurasian Economic Union (hereinafter referred to as the Union).
2. Portable sound recording, video recording, reproducing equipment, photographic equipment in the amount of not more than
1 unit of each item and accessories to such equipment, video recording media, audio recording media in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
3. Mobile phones, smartphones and similar communication devices in the amount of not more than 2 units.
4. Portable personal computers, tablets, game consoles in the amount of not more than 1 unit of each item and accessories in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
5. Portable musical instruments in the quantity necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
6. Cultural values (if they are confirmed as such in accordance with the legislation of the Member State of the Union)
in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
7. Baby carriages, child seats fixed on car seats in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
8. Wheelchairs for the disabled in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
9. Equipment and supplies for sports, tourism and hunting, balloons in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
10. Domestic animals, including those used for hunting, sports, tourism, in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
11. Portable dialyzers, other similar medical devices and consumables for them in the amount necessary for use during the period of stay in the customs territory of the Union.
2. copy of the page with the registration stamp
3. copy of the international passport main page
4. copy of visa / residence permit / residence permit.
5. packing list/invoice
Full or abbreviated name of the consignee and consignor;
Sender and recipient address;
The number of packages in the shipment and the serial number of the package within the shipment;
Manipulative signs are also indicated, for example: Fragile, Up, etc.
Packaging must be sufficient to protect your item during transit.
Using the most common measures, you can avoid time and labor costs, as well as financial losses.
Use shock-resistant materials that will not allow the load to move freely during transportation.
Each fragile or vulnerable item must be wrapped separately.
Packages must be securely sealed with adhesive tape intended for gluing transported goods.
Boxes must be on the pad and secured.
Cabinet furniture (chest of drawers, wardrobes, beds) must be disassembled in detail and properly packed in a separate package filled with packaging material.
Larger shipments (equipment, etc.) must be secured with a supporting frame structure, which must be filled with protective packaging material (styrofoam, etc.).
For air transportation - in accordance with the Warsaw Convention of October 12, 1929 and the IATA Air Carriage Rules, prescribed in the air waybill; (Liability up to 17 euros per kg)
When transported by road - in accordance with the Convention on the Contract for the International Carriage of Goods by Road (CMR); (Up to 8.33 SDR (approx. 9 euros) per kg.)
When transported by sea - in accordance with the Rules of Maritime Transportation (Hague-Visby Rules). (2SDR or about EUR 2.5 per kg or 666SDR (about EUR 700) per container.)
Additional insurance makes it possible to receive 100% compensation in case of an insured event.